My toddler refuses to eat

Seriously, he hates food.  I'm lucky if I can get him to eat more than a bite or two, and that is if I'm feeding him his favorites.  If it isn't fruit, rice, or pasta, it automatically gets thrown onto the ground.  According to all of the baby experts, when a toddler nears the 18 month mark, they start going though the independent stage where they want to do everything themselves.  I understand that he wants to be in control, that he wants to be a big boy and feed himself.  That's why I only make him things that he can pick up and feed himself.  He has no problem using a spoon or fork, but doesn't want to.

He'll eat a cracker if he gets to run around too.

His Daddy says to not give him milk, and he'll eat when he's hungry. Daddy works all day though and doesn't realize that the little guy only gets milk when he first wakes up, at naptime, and then before bed.  So that can't be enough to keep him from being hungry, I wouldn't think.  

So for right now I'm sneaking multi-vitamin drops into his milk at night to make sure he's getting enough nutrients, and wracking my brain trying to think of ways to get him to eat.



Do you have a picky non-eating toddler?  I would love to get some comments to know I'm not alone!  What are some methods that you have tried?  


5 comments

  1. Ughhhh I have the same problem with my 16 month old!! My doctor said as long as she's not losing weight than it's not a problem. She also said to srinkle shredded cheese on basicaly everything she eats so at least she gets the extra calories...But doctors(and husbands) don't understand that hungry kids who won't eat are cranky!! I'll let you know if I ever find something that really works!
    Stopping by from the Mommy Brain Mixer hop! Am now a new follower:) Would love if you could check out my blog:
    http://crazy-mama-drama.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Mama-Drama/259491484156846

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! Definitely, if you find something that works - let me know lol. We've tried the cheese thing, he dumps his whole plate in the floor. I'm lucky that he will at least eat fruit, but veggies are out of the question. Except asparagus. He likes asparagus, when no one else in the family does haha.

      Delete
  2. OMG!! My first refused to eat anything except chips!!! Crazy!! I used to sneak in a few spoonfuls of rice! He refused veggies, picked at fruits..the only thing he had properly was milk..and chips!! It is, as you said, just a phase. He started eating again (:D) after a few months. I too used to give him supplements...good call!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I swear my kid is channeling Gandhi on a hunger strike sometimes. Crackers, Ramen (or garlic and olive oil pasta if I'm feeling creative), the occasional hotdog, and kiwi. That is his complete menu. Nothing else, unless I can coax him into nibbling on the occasional carrot stick or asparagus. Meals are few and far between, though. He may eat a good lunch and snub any other thoughts of food for the rest of the day! It's so reassuring to hear that your son eventually started eating again. As an overly-paranoid momma, I've been worried that I screwed up somewhere and that I created an aversion to food somewhere along the line LOL

      Delete
  3. We go in and out of phases like this! It's always so frustrating! But hubby is right. If he was hungry, he would eat. Just keep sneaking those multi-vitamins and offering his fave foods! He'll come around!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!