Step-Parenting

My fiance has a 6 year old little girl who is amazing.  No, her daddy and I aren't married (yet) but I still consider her my step-daughter.  She is such a goofy, fun, smart kid and I love having her around.  The custody arrangement is that we get her every other week, and it seems to work out okay.  



But, because it is summer and there hasn't been too much need for a strict routine, the custody thing has been pretty lax.  For the last two weeks, Princess* has been with her mom and grandma.  We just got her back last night, and I'm so happy.  I missed the little munchkin.  Apparently though, things have changed.  After 3 years of this going smoothly, with no complaints or mishaps, now her other family is making a big deal about her being here with me while her daddy is at work.


I got a phone call this morning, informing me that they were going to pick her up to bring her to the lake.


Mom: Hey, we're getting Princess* and bringing her to the lake today.
Me: Um, did you ask her daddy?
Mom: No, I'll text him now and ask.



So I called Daddy to ask what was going on, and he had just gotten off of the phone with them.  It seems that they don't want her here while he's at work, because I'm not her mom.


What the heck?  Since when has that been a big deal?  I keep her fed, clean, healthy, and safe.  We have fun, she plays with the little guy, we watch movies and do crafts.  I read to her at night and help her daddy tuck her in.  I get up with her in the middle of the night when she has nightmares.  I bring her to doctor's appointments, I help her with her school work, I volunteer with the school.  I may not have given birth to her, but I love her like she's my own.


I am a good momma, whether or not the "step" word is in front of it.  She may not get 100% of my attention here, but that is because she has a little brother who needs me as well.  


I'm at a loss here, I have no idea what to think or do about this situation.  






*Princess is obviously not her real name, just something to use to protect her privacy.

No comments

I love reading your comments!