Scrumptious Saturday: Green Beans and Bacon

This has been one heck of a week, and I am in some serious need of comfort foods. You know the kind I'm talking about: a greasy, starchy, fill-you-up kind of meal that invokes memories just by smelling it cooking? That's what I'm after.


This is my grandpa's recipe, passed to my dad and then to me. My parents were separated and then divorced when I was really young, so I spent the summers with Dad, 850 miles away. Those were some of the best times of my life. I would go and spend time with my grandparents (who were awesome!) while Dad worked, and this is one of the meals we would have on a regular basis. So simple, but so scrumptious:

Green Bean and Bacon Sandwiches

I know, I know. You're probably thinking "Eww, no thanks." Don't knock it 'til you try it though.

You'll need:
1/2 pack of bacon
1 pound of fresh green beans
a big pot
water
bread and butter

Put the bacon in the bottom of the pot and cook on low. You'll want to stir it pretty regularly so it doesn't stick.

While the bacon is cooking, string (or de-string?) the green beans and snap the ends off. You can snap them in half as well if you would like, or you can leave them long. Make sure you rinse them well and drain all the water off.
Once the bacon is cooked thoroughly, pour your green beans into the pot. Toss them around until they are completely coated with bacon grease, add in salt and pepper.

 then add enough water to completely cover. Put a lid on your pot and walk away.
Grandpa used to say that every time you lifted the lid to check on the beans, they had to cook an extra 30 minutes. I think the point he was trying to make was that they do not need to be stirred, checked on, or messed with. Let them simmer for at least an hour.
 When the water is almost all gone and the green beans are starting to fall apart, they are done. Just be careful not to let them burn when the water evaporates, because burned beans is a horrible smell!
The best way to eat this awesome snack/meal/side is to put a scoopful onto a piece of buttered bread and fold it up. Enjoy!

What are you having for lunch today?

2 comments

  1. MMMMM this sounds SOOOOOO good right now! - Guess what will be on my next grocery list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! This has always been one of my favorites, sooo yummy

      Delete

I love reading your comments!